Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Christmas Field Trip!

Yesterday was such a great day!  I spent it with my mom, grandma and aunt, taking a little "field trip."  My grandma calls her outings with my aunt "field trips," so I felt my title was appropriate for our adventure yesterday!   

To start off the day, my mom and I met my aunt at my grandma's house.  From there, we headed to the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  The main reason for the trip was the see all the Christmas trees.  Every year, the museum has a bunch of Christmas trees, all decorated for different countries.  It was super neat to see how they were decorated, as well as read a little bit about the country's specific Christmas traditions.  


Czech Republic

Czech Republic again - representing my mom's side of the family!

Germany

Lebanon

Belgium - the waffles cracked me up!

We also had to check out the train exhibit, old Main Street and one of my VERY favorites, the fairy castle!



I hadn't been the museum in so long...it definitely was as neat as I remember.  There is so much to see - we could have spent all day there!

For lunch, we headed to one of my grandma's favorite places, Riverside Family Restaurant for some Bohemian food.  I had never been before, so I was super excited to try it out.  It was delicious!  I had the beef noodle soup, roast pork, dumplings, red cabbage.  I was a little worried about trying out the red cabbage - it is a sweet and sour cabbage - but my grandma assured me I would like it, because "it is in my blood."  She was right!  We all ended the meal with kolacky.  This was by far the highlight of the meal for me.  



Afterwards, we headed back to my grandma's, but took the scenic route.  We headed by my grandparents' old house.  While they moved many, many years ago, I have some really great memories at that house.

The afternoon ended back at my grandma's, cooking.  We helped her make one of her signature Thanksgiving/Christmas dishes, a turkey roll.  It was so fun to all be in the kitchen together.  We also sampled some of my aunt's Christmas cookies...she brought over a little sampler plate for us.  They were delicious, per usual.  


These are the days I truly cherish.  Spending time with family, is always nice.  Especially days like this.  I think I appreciate the time together even more so not living close to everyone.  

Only two days until Christmas...bring it on!

Linking up with Jenn and Jessi
           

14 comments:

  1. What a fun day. That tree is beautiful and nothing better than spending time with those you love. Have a wonderful Christmas!

    Christina :: Simple and Delish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Christmas trees are gorgeous! Sounds like you guys had a great time and that food looks delicious! I've never had kolacky but it looks amazing! <3, Pamela Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see all of the different countries represented by the trees--so interesting! And your outfit was so cute! Glad you got to spend time with your family--it's always the best!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like such a lovely day with the ladies in your family... such wonderful memories! I like the waffles on the Belgium tree too... was there also chocolate???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holidays with family are just the best! Merry Christmas, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE family field trips!! That train exhibit is a favorite of mine as I love miniatures!! Glad it was a great day!! Merry Christmas, may it be as beautiful as you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the Christmas trees! Glad you all had such a great day together :) Merry Christmas!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those Christmas trees! I would love to see something like that. It reminds me of another blogger who lives in DC and posted pictures of the national Christmas tree and said they have a tree for each of the 50 states, which I never knew until I read that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just love everything about this post! That is so cute that your grandma calls her outings "field trips." And what a fun day at an awesome place! And yay yay yay for a picture of you!!

    Merry Christmas, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Museum sounds like the perfect field trip with your family! I love that they had all of the Christmas trees decorated like different countries. I would love to learn all about the different traditions from other countries! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun family field trip! :) How cool to learn about the different holiday traditions! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete