Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Christmas 2015 Recap

Hey all!  I hope you had a GREAT Christmas!  It was a little hard to get back to reality Sunday and the next morning, so I just decided to extend my break through Monday.

I have to say, I am pretty sad that Christmas is over.  While the promise of a new year is very exciting, I definitely enjoy the anticipation of Christmas more.  I took the week off from work last week and headed to my parents.  The first few days were pretty uneventful, then starting Tuesday things got busy!  

I headed to Chicago with my mom, aunt and grandma to check out the Museum of Science and Industry.  You can read all about that day here.

Wednesday was dedicated to running errands and cooking.  We started the morning with a run...out in the rain.  That was definitely not intentional...the weather seemed fine when we started going, but sure enough it began to rain the further we went.  It actually felt kind of good, although I sure am glad we got home when we did, because it started pouring shortly after!  Which, is when we decided to run errands.  I feel like that always happens.  The rest of the day was spent cooking.  Mashed potatoes, broccoli, cheese and rice casserole, stuffed shells, parsley carrots...the list goes on!  While it seemed like quite a bit of stuff, we were able to fit in a few Christmas movies, too.  Always one of my favorite things to do around the holidays. 

Christmas Eve and Christmas morning were spent with my brother, sister-in-law and Jack (my nephew)!  We had a lot of fun visiting, eating, watching Christmas movies and opening presents.  This year was especially exciting because it was Jack's first Christmas.  Jen received a Santa suit for Jack from a family friend, so we of course had to try it on!  We were able to get a few good pictures, but honestly, he wasn't crazy about it.  He's just so cute in it, though!



After breakfast, we headed to my grandma's for more presents and Christmas dinner.  I really, really slacked on pictures this Christmas, but I did take one of my aunt's Christmas cookies.  Seriously, how amazing do they look? 



I had at least 6 different kinds.  What's even better, is that she sent me home with my own little tin of Christmas cookies.  Thank you!!!  We opened presents, had some snacks, then sat down for the main event.  Everything was just so delicious.  After dinner and cookies, we all gathered round to play one of our favorite card games, Blitz.  I came so close to winning, but lost to my grandma.

It was pretty hard to get going on Saturday, after all the food and traveling the past few days.  My mom and I did fit in a little shopping, although it didn't go quite as planned.  I have to vent just a bit here...I received one of The Pioneer Woman's cookbooks for Christmas.  I loved reading it and knew I wanted the others.  We headed to Barnes and Noble, only to find out that the online price was half the price of that in the store.  How does that make sense?  So instead of paying twice as much, I went home and ordered it online.  Note to self - always check online to compare when shopping there.  We had my dad's side of the family's Christmas that evening.  It was SO awesome to see everyone.  My dad is one of ten, I have a ton of cousins, many of whom have their own kids now, so it is often hard to get everyone together.  A lot of people came and it was really nice to catch up.  Next year is going to be so much fun - three of my cousins are getting married!  Family weddings are always such a blast, so I cannot wait!

Unfortunately, Sunday was back to the real world.  Laundry, grocery shopping, unpacking all were on my to-do list.  I was able to make it through most of my laundry, but then my dryer went kaput.  Monday equaled work, which is always so hard to get back into after being gone, especially during the holidays.  Luckily it is a short week!  And...maintenance came and fixed my dryer...thank you, thank you!

Hope everyone has a terrific Tuesday.

Linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk.

17 comments:

  1. I cant even handle the cuteness in that little santa outfit - so adorable!! Sometimes the back to real world on sunday is super hard - but we have another short week yay! So glad you had a great Christmas! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lil Jack, so stinkin cute!!!! Ugh yucky real world, wish it was Christmas all year!!! Hope your week is going smoothly tho beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everytime I see a picture of him, I am just like awww Jack!!! Warms my heart! Definitely with it could be the Christmas season all year, too!

      Delete
  3. Your nephew is so cute!! I know it's not quite the same but we dressed our dogs up a few years ago- one as a reindeer, the other as santa and they were SO mad. They were rolling around on the floor and howling. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is hilarious, I bet it was funny to watch. And so cute. :)

      Delete
  4. That Santa suit!!!! I'm dying!!!!! :-) I made the Snow Ball cookies and your Aunt's look WAY better than mine did.. you can tell I'm a rookie! I'm glad you had a nice Christmas and cheers to a short work week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh jack is so cute! I need a nephew!! We don't have any babies in the family right now :(....

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dinner sounds sooooooo good haha all I can think about now is stuffed shells :) Sounds like such a fun time spent with your family!! Glad you got to see them all on both sides. Not gonna lie, that's pretty funny you lost to your grandma haha Grandmas always have tricks up their sleeves!! Have a verry happy new year, Em!!
    xo C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your nephew is ADORABLE! And all those cookies look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that Santa outfit! It melts my heart! Those cookies look amazing. And I still want that cheesy broccoli casserole haha. Why would it be so much cheaper online?! That makes no sense. Another store that always does that is Old Navy. But like for every single item. It's so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness how adorable is that little santa outfit?! And I'm totally craving all those cookies!

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your nephew is cute, but those cookies......YUM!!! Glad you got to spend so much time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nephew's Santa suit is so cute, and all of your aunt's cookies look so delicious! It sounds like you had an amazing Christmas filled with lots of family time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful Christmas you had! And Jack in that little Santa suit? I die. Could he BE any cuter?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that Santa suit on your nephew is adorable! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That must be so much fun to celebrate a late Christmas with 10 cousins!! Must be a huge group of people! I have 7 siblings, but only 1 cousin. I always wish I had more!

    ReplyDelete