Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Broccoli, Cheese & Rice Casserole

For the next few weeks, I will be sharing some of my favorite holiday recipes.  First up, I have broccoli, cheese and rice casserole.  This is one of my mom's signature dishes - it always makes an appearance at our holiday dinners.  We didn't grow up having this on a regular basis, nor do I make it for myself normally.  I think that makes it extra delicious when we do have it for the holidays.



Broccoli, Cheese & Rice Casserole
broccoli, chopped in bite-size pieces
1 cup Minute Rice, uncooked
1/2 cup of Cheese Whiz
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 small onion, diced
3/4 cup celery, chopped
1/2 stick of butter
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Steam broccoli for 3 minutes.  While steaming, melt butter on low in a small sauce pan.  Add onion and celery to the butter and cook until the onion is translucent and the celery is slightly soft, about 5-6 minutes.  Mix together cream of celery soup, water, milk and Cheese Whiz.  Combine broccoli, onion/butter and rice in a greased casserole dish (2 1/2 qt. round Corningware dish).  Add in soup mixture, stirring everything together.  Baked uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes.  Stir before serving.  Enjoy!

Linking up with Sweet Little Ones for Tuesday Talk and Full Time Mama for Delicious Dish.

17 comments:

  1. This looks like such a good comfort food option and perfect for chilly weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am craving some right now! It makes the perfect side!

      Delete
  2. Such a great comfort food to have when it's so dreary out!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great! It's very similar to the one my mom makes, she adds in hamburger meat though and no cheese whiz, she uses shredded cheese. Great food for the winter too.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks SO good--such a comfort food for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Love broccoli, cheese & rice!!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah that looks so good and I definitely agree a comfort food! I've never attempted to make it but I may have to now!
    Linds @ Not A Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very similar to something that I make for dinner. Mine has chicken in it, too, so it's an entire meal all in one. I'll have to try adding a couple of your ingredients to mine to see what it tastes like! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will have to try that...love the idea of everything in there together!

      Delete
  8. YUM! I love broccoli cheese soup but I love the idea of making it a casserole like this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUMMM such a cozy home cooked meal. Perfect for this time of year :-D

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect side dish for the holidays! I've made something except without rice but your recipe sounds so good and hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THIS IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE THING EVER. Ever. But the whole gluten and lactose issue makes it impossible for me to have. If you have a gluten free/dairy free recipe for this send it my way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if you have heard of Heidi Ho? It's a plant-based cheese. I haven't tried it, but I have heard it is really good! I think that would work as a replacement! Not sure about rice, though!

      Delete
  12. This looks sooo good! I love cheese/broccoli/rice together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM!!! Some of my favorite things!!

    ReplyDelete