Thursday, November 19, 2015

Show & Tell Thursday

It's Show & Tell Tuesday Thursday!  This is my first time linking up with Momfessionals for her Show & Tell series.  Normally, these are to be posted on a Tuesday, but I am doing mine on Thursday!

This topic is one that I feel very strongly about...serving.  I truly love giving back when possible.  Not only does it help others, but it really makes me feel good, too!

I think it started in high school.  I was involved in a bunch of different organizations, one being Key Club.  As part of Key Club, you had to do different service events.  Some were as simple as playing Bingo at a nursing home, or helping with a school event.  One of my favorite memories from Key Club was serving at a soup kitchen.  It was in a city about a half hour away from my hometown, and a few of us went down and helped out.  I just remember really enjoying it.  Of course, it helps when you can volunteer with friends, but it just feels amazing to do something good, to help others.

In college, I was part of Greek life.  I absolutely loved it.  Through Greek life, I was exposed to a lot of fun service events.  From painting an elderly woman's home, to raising money for different organizations, there was always something to do. 

After graduating, I knew I wanted to get involved with something, but I wasn't sure what.  My company has a big United Way fundraising campaign every year, and after I heard about it, I knew it was something I wanted to be part of.  I have been on the committee ever since!  We have been able to raise an amazing amount of funds that help support the various United Way agencies through out the greater St. Louis area.  With being on the committee, I have had the opportunity to visit an agency that the United Way supports and spend time volunteering.  Not only is my company involved in United Way, it seems that there is something that is always going on.  Buying Christmas presents for families that might not be able to themselves, holding bake sales, putting together personal care bags...the list keeps going and going.   

About a year ago, I became involved with Provident, an organization that strives to help others achieve a "brighter future."  I have talked about Provident here.  I was able to attend one of the after school programs that is offered through Provident and it was very eye-opening.  Provident had teamed up with another organization to put on a program that included singing, reciting poems, showing off different crafts.  Afterwards, we served up a  meal to the kids before their family members took them home.  While we were preparing their dinner, it just amazed me to hear about all the kids different needs and how the after school program is able to help them in some way, and how much more help is needed to truly cover the kids' needs.


There are so many different opportunities out there...sometimes I feel like they aren't as easy to find.  I really loved this link up, because it was an opportunity to see what others are doing and gave me ideas of what more I could be doing myself.


12 comments:

  1. Giving back is the best feeling. But you're right, sometimes it's difficult to find opportunities in the area (my husband and I looked for some this month and everything was already full!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greek life was one of my favorite parts of college! It’s amazing how much sororities give back and can help raise awareness about a cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I don't think people realize the extent of "good" sororities can do!

      Delete
  3. I miss Greek life as well and for me it was so long ago! But now I have sons who are interested in fraternities so they get to experience all the fun and networking options it brings! I hope you have a most wonderful Friday eve my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, that is so fun! I hope when I have kids they get involved, as well!

      Delete
  4. We have a huge United Way program at my company as well. It's so wonderful you've found something post graduate life that you feel strongly about and want to give back to! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read several posts from that link-up and it was wonderful to see just how many people serve their communities. We've been so busy with little ones the last few years that we've done very little of this. All of your posts have been so inspiring, and it really makes me want to get back out there and do more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this post! I had the opportunity to work with Habitat for Humanity last year, and it was so amazing watching a beautiful home being built for a wonderful family. The best part was watching the framework and the roof go up!

    Keep doing your thing girl, and spreading awesomeness <3

    Green Fashionista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! It really helps my overall being to be able to do something like this, I've never been on a mission trip but I volunteered all high school and it was one of the best decisions I ever made!
    Linds @ Not A Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree. It is an amazing feeling to give back to the community or to a cause. Such a rewarding feeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! It's a win-win situation...you help other and you feel good at the same time!

      Delete
  9. Key Club totally brought me back! Volunteering is so important, and it's great to work for a company that supports it!

    ReplyDelete