Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Favorite Thanksgiving Traditions

I am linking up with Mattie @ Northwest Native and Julie @ Say Yes to Happy for their Tell Us About It link up.  



This month's topic is Favorite Thanksgiving Traditions.  I love Thanksgiving.  My favorite part is the family aspect of it.  I love the opportunity to get together, catch up and enjoy a ton of good food.  And, it is the kick off to the Christmas season! 

Every Thanksgiving we head up to my grandma's house.  As my grandma has gotten older, my mom and my aunt have taken a lot of the cooking responsibilities over.  That means the day before and even the morning of Thanksgiving are spent helping my mom in the kitchen.  Sometimes my mom tries new dishes, and sometimes she sticks with old favorites.  She always makes a broccoli, cheese and rice casserole which is SO good.  I used to hate it, but the past few years it is probably one of my favorite things on the table.

My grandma only lives a little over an hour away from my parents, so we head up there the day of Thanksgiving.  Once we get there, we usually start the eating and drinking right away.  My mom makes a delicious cheeseball, so that is usually set out to snack on.  We do a ton of visiting before we eat - sitting around talking, looking at any new pictures people have.  This year will be extra special because it will be the first Thanksgiving with my nephew!  I can't wait to see how it goes.

The table is always overflowing with food when we sit down to eat.  Turkey, mashed potatoes, broccoli, cheese and rice casserole, cranberries (whole and gelled from the can!), sauerkraut, corn, rolls...the list just goes on and on.

After the table is cleared, we usually play cards.  We grew up playing some type of game or cards after dinner at my grandparents.  I love that we do that.  It is a lot of fun...sometimes I feel like card games are a lost past time!  

Later in the evening, everyone heads out.  If we are heading back to my parents', it is a treat, because as soon as we leave my grandma's my mom will turn on the Christmas music...not a day before!  Sometimes, though, my mom and I stay with my grandma to get a head start on our Black Friday shopping since we always go to places close to my grandma's house.  This is definitely something I consider a Thanksgiving tradition...Black Friday shopping with my mom!  We have done it almost every year.  Even the year I wasn't able to make it home, she came down after spending Thanksgiving with the rest of the family and we headed out shopping around the St. Louis area.  I feel like the deals aren't as great as other days anymore, but I still love shopping with my mom on this day.  It is the only day I don't mind all the crazy crowds.  We make SO many trips back and forth to the car...we definitely get in our exercise!  It's just a lot of fun and good, quality time together.   

Writing about this now has me anxiously awaiting Thanksgiving...I can't wait!      

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some great Thanksgiving traditions! My family is really into cards too, they are always played after dinner. This is the first year I'll be spending Thanksgiving with my boyfriend's family, so it will be fun to see what their traditions are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it going to grandmas house just the best?! My mom makes a wonderful cheese ball too and I look forward to it every year! Traditions are so wonderful and so very important! I hope you have a terrific Tuesday beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love holiday traditions! It's so fun hearing about other people/family's traditions, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE learning about other people's traditions! SO fun to read what everyone does for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw man, I wish I would've remembered to do this link up. Such a fun topic! I love how fun your holidays sound, especially the good food and the cheese ball is always my FAV! Yummmm just thinking about it. Happy Tuesday, pretty girl!
    Linds @ Not A Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love family gatherings and especially meaningful traditions! Yours sounds wonderful!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun reading about your traditions - my favorite!! I can't believe how soon Thanksgiving will be here - crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your thanksgiving traditions - it's seriously my favorite holiday! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so fun! I LOVE holiday traditions-- the holidays are lovely as they are, but having special traditions that you do make the holidays that much more special!

    Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! The little things make them even more special!

      Delete
  10. I LOVE that you guys all play cards together! Your family sounds like so much fun. :o) I love the family aspect of Thanksgiving as well. We have a huge family on my mom's side, and we always have the best time together. It's always so much fun having everyone under one roof. I wish it could last for more than one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Broccoli, cheese, and rice casserole sounds AMAZING. I love combinations of those three things. So exciting that this year is your nephew's first holiday season! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanksgiving is my favorite because it's always centered around family getting together. And the food is good too! I'm jealous you get to be with grandparents, my gramps is too far away :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun to be around family. Unfortunately, my grandma is the only grandparent left, so we definitely make sure to get in time with her as we can! She's a special lady!

      Delete