Monday, October 5, 2015

Chicago

This past weekend I went to one of my favorite cities...Chicago!  We made it a long weekend by taking off Friday, which was so nice!  It definitely worked out for the best, too, because the weather was nicest on Friday.  Here are a few highlights from the trip...

Portillo's.  This is one of my favorite places.  My mom and I go shopping up north a lot, and when we do, we always stop at Portillo's.  It is just so good!  I always get the hot dog and a chocolate shake.  I have been trying to find a Chicago-style hot dog place down here that could help when I am craving one, but so far it's been a no go.  Portillo's is a must-stop place when we go into the city...we literally checked into the hotel and headed straight to Portillo's afterwards.  Yum!



Shoreline Architecture Boat Tour.  I read about doing a boat tour on Jenn's blog.  It was so awesome!  I highly suggest doing this if you are ever in Chicago.  You get to see a ton of the city and learn a lot, too!  I am sure whichever tour line you pick is good, but I really enjoyed ours.  The guide was super knowledgeable and pretty funny, too.  The boat had a bar, which I thought was a really fun idea.  This was by far one of my favorite things we did this weekend.





The Capital Grille.  I was in search for a nice dinner for us to go one night.  The Capital Grille fit the bill and I have to say, we both thoroughly enjoy ourselves!  One of the best things, was that it was in the same building as our hotel.  Although we had to walk outside, but it was just down the street...super convenient!  The inside was gorgeous...definitely what I think of when I think of a steak place...dark wood, dark lighting...it was just neat!  The service was amazing!  I was super thirsty when we got there, and as soon as our water's were filled up, they stayed that way the rest of the night.  We checked out the menu beforehand, and decided that to really enjoy our steaks, we were going to forego any appetizers or soups/salads.  That was definitely a good choice on our part!  We ordered steak, brussel sprouts and truffle fries.  I have to say the steak was the really shining star of the meal.  Yum!  




Firecakes Donuts.  This place is amazing.  They have an ice cream donut sandwich.  It is the best.  They also have regular donuts, but the ice cream sandwich is a must-try.  I would suggest splitting the sandwich, because it is pretty rich.  As I mentioned, they do have other donuts which looked awesome as well.  And you can get coffee there, too.  The inside is just too cute, as well.  The place is super small, so if there are other people in line, it might feel a little tight, but it is definitely worth it to stop!





Those were some of the highlights from my weekend.  It was such a nice getaway - I just want to go back!

Hope you all had amazing weekends!  Linking up with Biana for Weekending.   

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh not sure the weather could have been more perfect for you guys! It looks like a perfect weekend! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun weekend trip! I need one of those donuts, like right now...

    I regret never doing an architecture tour for the 5 years I lived in Chicago! Everyone says they're great - even the Chicago natives! I need to try it next time I visit.

    Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dying to get to Chicago this fall. And now I'm STARVING for donuts and yummy food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun weekend in one of my most favorite cities!! So glad that you enjoyed the Architecture Boat Tour! It's so awesome and was definitely a highlight of our trip as well! Chicago has so many awesome food places. If you ever go back, you HAVE to go to The Purple Pig--it's amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! I go to Chicago for work but have never been to ANY of your favs except the Capital Grille (which I love too). Definitely checking out the donut/ice cream sandwich next time - amaaazing. And I've never had a Chicago style hot dog either so need to do that too!! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicago is one of my favorite cities and I loved the boat tour! Such a cool way to see the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really get to see so much of the city via the boat tour! I loved it!

      Delete
  7. What a great time! I've never been to Chicago, but it's near the top of my list! One day!

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Chicago! I went on an architecture tour in July for the first time, having lived there my whole life and it was awesome! I loved it. I also love portillos haha. So glad you do too. And firecakes sounds amazing, never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I need a donut ice cream sandwich right about now. #monday

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your weekend looks very delicious!!

    liz jo @sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  11. That boat tour sounds fun! May have to do it next time I'm in the city!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chicago looks like so much fun! And the food looks amazing! Glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love Chicago!! Looks like such a fun weekend!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete