Monday, August 31, 2015

Weekend Recap

Happy Monday!  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  Mine was definitely fun-filled.  I spent part of the weekend taking advantage of some of what St. Louis has to offer.  First stop was the zoo.  The St. Louis Zoo is awesome.  There are so many great exhibits and the best part is, admission is free!  When I go to the zoo, I always have to see the cats.  The tigers, lions and leopards are by far my favorite part.  What was really neat about this visit was that the lion was in the tree on a tiny branch.  At least it looked tiny compared to the lion.  It was kind of funny, everyone was nervous that the lion was stuck, but a worker walked by and assured us that she did it all the time.  I really enjoyed being able to see an animal moving around...usually the cats are just lying there, sleeping.  This time there was a little action which made it more interesting.





Another section of the zoo I like to visit is called Rivers Edge.  There, you can see the rhino, hippo and elephants.  The elephants were really active.  We even got to see some of the babies!  It amazes me how big they are...and how they eat.  It is so cool watching them take the grass with their trunk and put it in their mouth.




After the zoo it was time for a bite to eat.  We tried out a new BBQ place, called The BBQ Saloon.  I, of course, forgot to take food pictures.  It was a neat place.  We tried the pulled pork nachos and ribs.  Neither were my favorite, but there are a few other items on the menu I want to try, so I would go back.  Also, they had advertised on a sign outside that they offered "adult" sno-cones.  How awesome does that sound?!

Since we were in the area, we grabbed some cookies after lunch from Hot Box Cookies.  We had one in the shop, then saved the rest for home.  Oh my goodness...these cookies were so good.  Just thinking about them has me craving one.  We tried the Chocolate White Chocolate Chip, Red Velvet and M&M.  I can't decide if the Chocolate White Chocolate Chip or Red Velvet was my favorite.  They were regular size, which I really liked.  I definitely plan on stopping back again when I am in the area.  Or maybe even making a special trip...they are that good!

The day ended at the Missouri History Museum.  The history museum offers a lot of great exhibits that are, like the zoo, free!  The one we went for specifically was St. Louis in 1875.  It was based on a pictorial map made back then.  The exhibit gave an example of what life was like back then in St. Louis.  They also broke down some of the popular neighborhoods and talked about what buildings/businesses were there then, compared to now.  It was definitely interesting.  I love learning about what life used to be like.  



The rest of the weekend was filled with cleaning, laundry and lots of TV/reading time.  

And since we all know I love a great link up, I am linking up with Biana @ B Loved Boston for Weekending.       

13 comments:

  1. Cool - fun to read about St. Louis! It's a city I've driven through a lot, but never actually visited.

    Cleaning + laundry + reading = my 3 favorite weekend activities :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you drive through, you should stop! There really is so much to see!

      Delete
  2. What a free zoo? We have to pay an arm and leg to go to ours. Those cookies sound amazing too. And so do the bbq place even with a subpar pork and nachos, I love pork though so I probably would have loved it.

    liz jo @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playing tourist in your own city is so fun! Sounds like a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like an awesome weekend between the zoo and museum, but those cookies?! Mmmmm ... sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHH zoo and cookies is the perfect time ever!!! Glad it was such a fun one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good cookie! There are so many museums I need to go to LA before I move! Looks like you had a nice and relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I want to take our kids to the zoo so bad... neither of them have ever been, so we're trying to plan a trip soon and I think I'm as excited as they are! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so interesting! Looks like a great weekend! I love going to the zoo. The elephants are my favorite but they don't have them at the Philadelphia Zoo anymore, where I go, and it makes me so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot Box Cookies sounds like my kind of place! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love free zoos! Ours is free here in Chicago, and it is so much fun to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been to the zoo in ages - sounds like so much fun!! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete