Thursday, August 20, 2015

Thinking Out Loud

I am going to be honest with you, I was struggling with a blog topic today, so I checked Pinterest for some inspiration and decided to share some quotes that jumped out at me. 

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. -Buddha.

This quote is so true.  If you think about it, most times when you harbor hard feelings towards someone, especially anger, it hurts you more than it hurts them.  Obviously, it is going to happen that you become angry with someone...however, the key is not letting it get the best of you. 

Happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for it and start enjoying the moment that you're in
via

I am so guilty of this.  I feel like I am always waiting for something.  Perfect example is my post yesterday - I cannot wait for the seasons to change and fall to be upon us.  However, if you are constantly just waiting for the next "thing" to happen, then sometimes you miss out on the good things that are in the present.  I have been making a conscious effort to live more in the moment and enjoy what is happening now.  Of course there are things to get excited about, like upcoming plans, but the important thing is to not let it over take you to the point where you aren't focusing and savoring life's moments now.

"Someday, everything will make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason."
via

This one really resonated with me.  Life is constantly changing.  Sometimes I feel like there is no way there could be more going on and then something else happens to add to life's craziness.  My mom told me not too long ago that my great-grandma always said that everything happens for a reason.  While we might not know what the heck that reason is now, it is important to make the best of it and live and grow as much as we can during those times. 

Favorite Reminder via Humans of Joy
via

Love this.  Think about it...has there ever been a time when you have been nice and kind, but then regretted it?  Even if you don't receive the response you were hoping for from others, you still know that you did your part by being kind.

Don't let how you think life should be get in the way of experiencing what's incredible about today.

Comparison is the thief of joy.  Whether that be comparing yourself to someone else or to the "idea" of what your life "should" be.  Too often, I think we have an image in our head of what our life is "supposed" to be and those ideas aren't always realistic.  It can be disheartening at times, but I think what is important is to be happy and focus on what life you do have - make the most of it!

Re-reading this I think, whoa, that just got real.  A little deeper than I had originally planned, but I think these are good reminders.  Life is too short - be happy and focus on the positive.  Make the best of what you do have, rather than focus your energies elsewhere.

Linking up with Amanda @ Running With Spoons for Thinking Out Loud.


14 comments:

  1. I was struggling today too! These pins are perfect especially the stop waiting for Friday!!! But I sure am glad it's tomorrow!!!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad tomorrow is Friday, too. The "waiting" is definitely something I need to continue to work on!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love quotes, and all of these are perfect. Thank you so much for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great ones out there - I feel like these really stood out to me!

      Delete
  3. The quote about comparison and the one about living in the moment really resonate with me. So did the Buddha quote about anger. Or they just all did. Haha. I love finding a good motivational quote. Sometimes I really need that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quotes for today! I'm definitely bad at holding grudges, one of my worst qualities. And like you I am always waiting for something. and that last one, yes, so much. I have a bad time with comparing myself to others and there's no point. I'm so bad at just thinking what if.

    liz jo sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, the second one is so me! I feel like I am always waiting for something to be happy. Love it and it's a great reminder.

    Linds @ not a mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that comparison is the thief of joy...it is one of my faves!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these quotes & they are all so true! Thanks for the reminder :)
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love going on pinterst and looking at quotes, they're so many good ones! I've favorited all these on my boards too :) thanks for the inspiration and reminders today Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love LOVE that quote about never regretting being kind. So, so true, and something that I need to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many good quotes! I am always guilty of wanting to hurry up to the next big thing. I constantly have to remind myself to just enjoy the here and now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love every single one of these! And the older I get, the more I see who true they are. The one about constantly waiting for the next big thing is something I used to be particularly guilty for... but it's amazing how much good there is around us at all times if we just open up our eyes and pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have cut some people out of my life. Not because I am holding onto anger, but because I needed to have self-respect and stop being a doormat. I think that when you forgive people too easily and allow them to use you repeatedly, you not only hurt yourself, but you hurt them. You become the "enabler" and allow them to continue their destructive ways.

    ReplyDelete