Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Joan's Banana Bread

If you read yesterday, then you know all about my bad back.  If not, here's the short version.  I hurt my back Saturday morning...I was in so much pain later that evening that I called in for reinforcements, aka my mom.  She came to the rescue, but luckily I was feeling much better on Sunday.  Instead of her spending the whole day taking care of me, we were able to make it into a more fun trip.  One of the things we did during her visit was bake some delicious banana muffins.

I have been on the hunt for a good banana bread recipe for a long time!  I have tried multiple recipes, but they were all pretty much disasters.  Luckily, my mom passed along this recipe and it turned out so good!  She was given this recipe by her friend, Joan, hence the name - Joan's Banana Bread. 

As I mentioned above, we made these in muffin version, but below I have provided the baking times for both the muffins and the bread.


Joan's Banana Bread
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I used Crisco sticks)
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.  Combine sugar and shortening together with an electric mixer.  Add mashed bananas and eggs.  Turn mixer on slow and slowly add dry ingredients.  Bake in greased loaf pan for 45-50 minutes. 

For muffins, bake 15-25 minutes.  My mom baked them for 25 minutes in her oven, but when we made them in my oven, they only needed about 15 minutes.

As you can see by the picture, I prefer my muffins slathered in butter.  They make the perfect breakfast or light snack.

I am trying a new link up today...Delicious Dish Tuesday, hosted by Alesha @ Full Time Mama and Mary @ Eat, Drink and Be Mary.

5 comments:

  1. I have been craving banana bread! I might have to make this. Those look so delicious...especially slathered in butter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good banana bread is the BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is a HUGE banana bread lover, so I'll definitely have to save this recipe! I don't have one that's my "go to", so maybe this will be it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you hurt your back! Hope you're feeling better! I LOVE banana bread and this looks like a great recipe- Thanks so much for sharing with us at Delicious Dish Tuesday! Hope to see you back this week!

    ReplyDelete