Monday, June 22, 2015

Hang Loose: Chapter 30

Hey all!  Sorry for the unexpected break last week.  I felt the need to unplug a little bit, but now I am back!  This weekend was a busy one.  I headed back to my parents for the second weekend in a row and it was go, go, go!

I have always had an appreciation for cars, especially older cars.  I get that from my dad.  Through his love of cars, he became involved in the Rustic Auto Car Club.  The car club holds a car show every summer, during Father's Day weekend.  It is my dad's baby.  The last few years, though, they have held another event in place of the car show.  However, with this year being the 30th year, or "chapter" as they refer to it, the club decided it was time for another car show.  

I have such great memories going to this car show growing up.  The day, Hang Loose, has evolved over time.  When I was younger there were vendors around our courthouse square, 3 on 3 basketball tournaments in the streets - a lot of different things.  This year, in addition to the car show, the club held a bags tournament, as well as a coloring competition for the little ones.  It was and still is a great way to spend time with family and friends.

This year was a bit of a challenge.  The car show is usually held in a park by the river, but with the amount of rain this past week, it just was not going to happen.  The river was out of its banks and had flooded parts of the park - just not safe at all to hold an event there.  Friday morning it was decided that the car show would move to downtown.  The city had allowed a few streets to be blocked off, as well as a parking lot.  A venue change was not exactly ideal with it being so last minute, but the change was definitely necessary due to the weather.  I am happy to say that even under the circumstances, it was a success!  Although things were a little chaotic, and a little tight, space-wise, my dad and the car club did their best and put on a great show!

Below are a few of my favorites from the car show.  I just love old cars and would love to own one someday.  For now, I will just enjoy looking at others!








 
A girl in the car club painted this bags set with the logo...how amazing are they?!

The work my dad (along with my mom and others) puts into this car show is amazing.  I love being able to spend Father's Day weekend with him, helping out with something that he truly loves.  He is such a hard worker and a great father.  I am so lucky to have him!      

1 comment: