Wednesday, May 6, 2015

What I've Been Reading

A few weeks ago, in this post, I mentioned the books I wanted to read in April.  I made it through them and am ready to share my thoughts!

The first book I read was Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty.  Let me be honest with you, this was not my favorite.  I thought it had a very slow start.  I was hopeful that once I got further into the book, I would start getting more interested, but that was not the case.  I am usually a pretty fast reader, but this one took me awhile because I was just was not a huge fan.  I can see how it appeals to others, though.  I have read similar books - story location, style of writing - that have been recommended by friends because they really enjoy the book, but I have come to learn it is just not my cup of tea.

Next, I read The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks.  Let me start by saying, I am a huge Nicholas Spark fan.  I had high expectations going in, and this book did not disappoint!  This book takes you through a wide variety of emotions...you are smiling one minute and crying the next.  But it is SO good.  There are two different stories going on throughout the book and towards the end, they finally merge together.  Sometimes that can lead to a disconnect, but I really enjoyed how the book was written and thought it worked well in this case.  If you typically enjoy a Nicholas Sparks book, I would highly recommend The Longest Ride.

Bossypants by Tina Fey was the third book I read for my "April Readings."  I read this last weekend, so technically I read it in May, but let's just pretend it was still April!  I enjoyed this book.  In my opinion, it is kind of random and all over the place, but in a good way.  I think Tina Fey is very clever, and this book definitely portrays that "cleverness."  The only way I would have enjoyed it more, was if I had more knowledge about SNL and 30 Rock.  She includes references to other actors/actresses, which were a little over my head, but still reads well.  I just think I would have appreciated these sections more had I a better background in her shows.  All in all, a very good book.

For my May Goals, I came up with a list of 4 books I plan on reading in May.  Check back next month for my thoughts on the book below!

The Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel
41: A Portrait of My Father by George W. Bush
Maude by Donna Foley Mabry
Last Train to Istanbul by Ayse Kulin

          

No comments:

Post a Comment