Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Planting My Flower Pot

Happy Tuesday!  I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend!  Back to the grind today...luckily it is a short week.

This weekend I went back home to visit my parents.  It was really nice to spend some time with them, especially with it being a three day weekend. 

One thing my mom and I do every year is plant a flower pot for me to have at my home.  We have done this since I was in college and living in an apartment.  I love having a flower pot because it breathes a little life into the place and adds some fun color to the outdoors.  I don't always have the greenest thumb like my mom (my parents' yard/flowers look AMAZING), but we pick some pretty hardy plants that can withstand me forgetting to water them!

This weekend we picked out three plants and put them together - I thought it turned out super cute and wanted to share!

We started with my old pot, giving it a good wash since it had been outside all winter.  My mom gave me a piece of a broken terra cotta pot to cover the hole at the bottom so that the dirt doesnt fall out, but still allows the water to drain.  I filled the pot about 3/4 of the way full with Miracle-Gro potting soil.  Then I started adding my plants.

Below are the three I decided to go with. 

Coleus
 
 
Creeping Jenny
 
Begonia

All of the plants I picked should work well with the amount of sun/shade they will get.  When you are choosing what to plant, make sure you take a look at that!  One time I tried gerber daisies, even after my mom told me they would be hard to grow, and it definitely was a major fail!

I added the coleus to the middle since it will be the tallest.  I then brought in the creepying jenny to one side.  The four begonias were evenly spaced around the coleus.  After everything was packed in there, I watered until the water was draining out of the bottom.  I actually do this most times I water - that way I don't have to do it as often.  

The finished product! 


Also, if you want some addition boost, my mom swears by this Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster Flower Food.


I look foward to seeing this outside my glass door this summer, especially when it fills out.  I think the colors will be SO pretty together.  

Now if I only remember to water it...wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment